Although Alvin only accesses metadata, we get that granting any access to your data systems is a big deal. That’s why we’ve taken security very seriously from the start. And now with our SOC 2 Type II Certification, it’s official.
There are plenty of reasons why we care so much about this topic:
- Compliance: Many industries have strict regulations for protecting data and maintaining security standards. If we didn’t comply with these regulations, we could be hit with fines and penalties.
- Customer trust: When customers know their data security is taken seriously, they’re more likely to trust you with their sensitive information. This trust is an absolute must for building long-term relationships with customers.
- Protection against cyber attacks: Companies that work with customer data are irresistible to cybercriminals. Strong security measures can help prevent the theft of sensitive information.
- Reputation: A data breach can tank a company’s reputation. With trust levels way down, customers may be less likely to come back. Unsurprisingly, this can have a significant impact on the company’s bottom line.
- Business continuity: A data breach can also disrupt operations and cause revenue loss. A robust security system can help prevent these disruptions and ensure that the company can continue to operate smoothly.
All this is why last year Alvin set out on a journey to obtain SOC 2 certification.
Announcing our SOC 2 Type II Certification
For those who may not be familiar with this household term (right?), SOC 2 reports are designed for service organizations that handle, store, or process user information. This highly sought-after certification attests to the security and availability of customer data.
After months of hard work and dedication, we’re thrilled to announce that we have successfully obtained our SOC 2 Type I report. This report is a snapshot of our robust controls and systems in place to ensure the security and availability of our customers’ data.
But we’re overachievers around here, so we also went right ahead and obtained the highly coveted SOC 2 Type II report. This report is the most comprehensive SOC protocol and recognizes not only the suitability of our processes and systems, but also to our operational effectiveness in consistently implementing those controls over a period of time.
The full report includes a detailed description of our suite of controls for securing and handling customer data. These include:
- Employee onboarding and also termination processes
- Communication of specific changes to customers
- System monitoring
- Ongoing risk assessments
- Internal access control to environments, especially production
- Disaster recovery, data backup, and incident response processes
We are incredibly proud of this achievement, a reflection of our unwavering dedication to security. It’s the result of many months of hard work from the Alvin team, and it’s just the beginning — we will continue to pursue additional certifications (gotta catch ’em all).
But we don’t work for these certifications just because we have to. We do this because we couldn’t sleep at night if we didn’t feel worthy of the trust our customers place in us.